Hawarden Castle, or Castell Penarlâg (Newydd) in Welsh, is a house in Hawarden, Flintshire. It was once part of the estate of former British prime minister William Ewart Gladstone (1809-1898), having belonged to the ancestors of his wife, Catherine Glynne. It was built between 1752 and 1757 for Sir John Glynne, 6th Baronet and was enlarged and externally remodelled in the popular Gothic style.
The old castle was originally a motte-and-bailey fortification that was destroyed by Llywelyn ap Gruffudd. The rebuilding of the Castle was in contravention of the terms of the Treaty of Montgomery and this was the cause of the Second War of Welsh Independence.
Limited Opening Times (See Website)