Tenby Castle

The remains of Tenby Castle can be found perched high on the headland looking out to sea. It was originally an earthwork castle but had been rebuilt in stone during the 13th century. It is recorded that Tenby was one of several castles held by William Marshal as the Earl of Pembroke and it is believed to have been the Marshal who began the refortifications of the site in stone.

The castle fell into disrepair by the 14th century although in 1457, the surrounding walls were strengthened through the unusual collaboration of Jasper Tewder and the townspeople who split the costs of defending their town.

Tenby Castle is currently owned and maintained by Pembrokeshire County Council

More Details on the CADW Website
  • Tenby

    Tenby

More Info

(JavaScript must be enabled)

The Castles of Wales Logo
Criccieth Castle Panorama

© 2017 Ian King - MSS Studios - Designed by Website.Wales.
Some text is used with permission of CADW, however this site is not associated with, or endorsed by them.

If you are looking for accommodation, there are B&Bs and Hotels on the Wales section of the Booking.Com Website.